Want to hold an event in downtown LexingtON?
- Speak to people/find out interest.
- Once you know there is interest, put together a planning committee. Go TEam!
- Decide a time and location, contact Public Works to confirm availability of space.
- Visualize the event! Programming? Food? Alcohol? Street closures?
- If the event will have alcohol, contact our local ABC agent, Drew Covey to confirm your event will be legal!
- Your event will probably need insurance. Contact City Manager, Noah Simon, to confirm. Find a non-profit, or other entity, that is willing to partner and extend its insurance to you.
- If your event will have food, contact the Health Department and find out what you need to do, based on what you plan to do. This may include a mandatory porti-potty.
- Your event may need a sound permit. Call the Police Department to find out about that.
- From all of that, submit a detailed plan to the City Manager. He may or may not provide advice. Work with City Manager to make sure the event approval is on the agenda for the next City Council Meeting.
- Go to the City Council meeting at which your event is up for approval. Be prepared to briefly speak before council and answer any questions about the event.
- Event approved by City Council.
- Once approved, start marketing! Posters, social media, email, local press, banners, etc.
- Contact Public works and request recycling bins.
- Notify surrounding businesses about the event.
- Walk through the event and make sure you have all of the volunteers, electricity, chairs, trashcans, etc!
- Execute. Bring extras. As things start, savor the moment. Stay present in your creation.
- Start thinking about next time :)
Want to hold A DIY MUSIC EVENT?
Events worth having:
HERE ARE SOME events THAT HAVE BEEN SUGGESTED. LET US KNOW IF YOU'D LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE TO ONE in any way.
- Fermenting classes
- Wine tasting
- Weekly events for when things are slow
- Art, indie, and foreign films
- Jet packs!
- Comedy club
- More live music
- Cultural festivals
- Socrates cafe
- tedx in Lexington
- better utilize the horse center
- Cooking classes
- Zombie Walks
- Outdoor movies, film screenings in public parks, on sides of buildings
- Community dinner
- Food trucks at Jordan’s Point
- Video game tournament
HAVE AN IDEA TO ADD TO THE LIST? CONTACT OUR Events CO-CHAIRS:
WE ARE LOVING THE ROCKBRIDGE, VIRGINIA LIFE.